Friday, October 19, 2012

1000 Words 1 Hour ( 1K1HR )



How to write 1000 words per hour

You are probably wondering how anybody, let alone you, can write upwards 1000 words per hour. This is actually a common question. Some people are seemingly born with innate talent that they can type endless materials and never at loss for words. Well, I am here to tell you that you, too, can do it. Not a big trouble at that.

The first trick you need to learn is to type fast. You need to type 40 wpm or better. Yes, that means you need to practice. Learn touch typing. It will do you wonders on how to do this. Most people should be able to type a sustained 40 wpm. I am personally able to type 50 wpm for a long time. With newer and better keyboard, my typing rate inches upward, approaching with 80 wpm with Apple Wireless Keyboard. Even with lesser keyboard, I can now type 60-70 wpm easy. Now, if you're talking about good old manual typewriter, then my typing speed will drop down to 40 wpm. Tough. That's just how life is. Deal with it.

The second trick you need to learn is actually at the heart of writing: Have something to say! Simple, isn't it? Have something to say. If you have something to say, then you will be able to type the words easily. Words will just come flowing out of your mouth that people will start to wonder whether or not they should label you blabber mouth. The thing is, if you don't have anything to say, no matter what other talents you may possess, the writing will stop because you have a writer's block. So, have something to say. The trick is to be able to say it in such a way that doesn't bore your readers.

The third trick is to write an outline. There are different outlines out there that other people have written. Learn from them! My favorite outline is something that I learn from High School. It goes like this:
Title
1. Subject matter
1.1 Intro sentence
1.2 Supporting sentence 1
1.3 Supporting sentence 2
1.4 Supporting sentence 3
1.5 Ending/Transition sentence
2. Supporting Sentence 1
2.1 Supporting sentence 1
2.2 Supporting evidence 1
2.3 Supporting evidence 2
2.4 Supporting evidence 3
2.5 Ending/Transition sentence
3. Supporting Sentence 2
3.1 Supporting sentence 2
3.2 Supporting evidence 1
3.3 Supporting evidence 2
3.4 Supporting evidence 3
3.5 Ending/Transition sentence
4. Supporting Sentence 3
4.1 Supporting sentence 3
4.2 Supporting evidence 1
4.3 Supporting evidence 2
4.4 Supporting evidence 3
4.5 Ending/Transition sentence
5. Conclusion
5.1 Concluding Sentence
5.2 Summary 1
5.3 Summary 2
5.4 Summary 3
5.5 Ending sentence/call to action

And that's the pattern. It has served me well throughout the years. I guess you can say that my essay writing skill hasn't progressed all that much from high school.

So, you're probably wondering what form would evidence /supporting sentence look like? I think that the book "A Rulebook for Argument" by Anthony Weston is an excellent scribe on the subject. I heartily recommend everybody to read it. Those who haven’t read the book think that my writings are somewhat lengthy. All right. They think I'm a blabbermouth who needs to shut up. There. Happy? Hey, it's not my fault they cannot write more than a paragraph worth of ideas.

The fourth trick is to practice, practice, practice! Simple. In any endeavor, you need to train your muscles to prepare for the oncoming action. That's why athletes practice. They practice every day, spending countless hours to hone their skills. You should, too. Perhaps you think that you do not need to practice, because you already know how to type. Yes, you already know how to type, but can you think and type at the same time? I couldn't do it. Not until I spent several weeks practicing the skills. Or how about this: Why do I write the essay on the last night before it was due? Why risk it? The answer is, I didn't. You see, I practiced writing the essay before I actually sit down and do it, that by the time I actually sit down and do it, it already has become second nature.

So practice is the key to writing well. Not the only key, however. After all, you still need to have something to say, and to know how to say it well enough to entertain your readers. The tricks I outlined there aren’t written in stone. You can modify it to suit. What if your outline consists of these points:
1. Who
2. What
3. Where
4. When
5. Why
6. How
7. So What?

Well, that's okay, too. You may be wondering about the "So What?" question. It basically answers the WIIFM questions for the readers. What's In It For Me? Why Should I Care. Do I need to finish reading the essay or can I just cut to the chase and read the conclusion?

And there you go. Idea-Outline-Implementation. Simple.

Typing Time: 25 minutes
Edit Time: 3 minutes
Word Count: 850








No comments:

Post a Comment