Monday, November 25, 2013

Simpleton Geek Teaches Computer Programming Book 2 Ch 8A


8. Panel Str + Complicated program
8.1 Do what you did, only different
“Nancy, how come the Princess killed the Dragon AND the Prince?” asked Linda. “Shouldn't the Princess end up marrying the Prince?” Linda was seated next to Nancy, and was trying out her text adventure program.
“That's a bad ending. I need to put in a bad ending in there, right? So, you need to bring the flower to the Prince, and kiss him, and hug him. Only then the Prince won't be drinking poisoned wine, becomes insane and tried to kill you!” Nancy currently holds the distinction of “having her head stamped with 'FAIL' the most.” The next closest student isn't even close.
“But, Nancy, I did all that! Something must be wrong with your program!”
“But I tried it and it works!” said Nancy.
“Let's see.” said Linda. She stopped the program and looked through the source code.
“Eh, you're not supposed to do that! You're looking through the source code! That's cheating!”
“I just want to make sure that I do it right.” said Linda. “Let's see. I was in the top of tower right after I kissed him. See here? There's only bad ending possible from here! You have a mistake in your program!”
“What?” asked Nancy. “Let me see that! Oh, that's because you haven't hugged the prince!”
“But I did!” said Linda.
“See, you kiss the Prince, and hug him!”
“No way! Hugs happens way before kissing!”
“Really? But it's the Prince! You don't hug him before kissing!”
“That's just in the movies! That's not what I do.”
“Well,” said Nancy. “That's why the Prince went insane and kill you!”
“That's not a very good story then!” said Linda.
“What's that?” asked Peter, who was just sitting down. “Your program is buggy?”
“There's no bug. Just a bone-headed story!” said Linda.
“There's nothing wrong with my program, and it's certainly not buggy!” insisted Nancy.
The bell rang, and the class settled down. The teacher walked in. “Bunch of failures like usual! There's only one passing score. Peter's. Everybody else can't even score a decent grade. Any question?”
“If the program doesn't work as it should, does that qualify as 'buggy'?” asked Peter.
“No.” said Nancy the ever optimist.
“Of course. Any deviation from planned performance can be considered a bug. Why do you ask?”
“Nancy's program is buggy.” said Peter. Linda nodded her head enthusiastically.
“But the program ran fine? There should be no bug.” said the teacher.
“Hugging before kissing is punished with death!” said Linda. The class was filled with laughter. The teacher thought for a while, trying to remember which story it was. “The dragon killing princess, right? That's not a bug.” Nancy stuck her tongue at Linda. “That's poor game design, with the usual outcome having the game dumped in discount bin.” Linda stuck her tongue at Nancy.
“By the way,” the teacher asked. “Does anybody know what's the first bug?” Nobody knows. “A moth.” said the teacher, smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment