9.4 The first
significant program
“Well,” the teacher said. “It's good that you have it. Too bad that you didn't get it early enough to get points for it. What took you so long, anyway?”
“Well,” the teacher said. “It's good that you have it. Too bad that you didn't get it early enough to get points for it. What took you so long, anyway?”
Peter was in
the teacher's office, reviewing the day's event as usual. Though he
expected some other students to show up, nobody else showed up.
“Well,”
Peter said carefully, “I guess it's the fact that parsing is such a
difficult subject that I gave up immediately. It's not until I see
that there really is no parsing involved that I understood the
difficulty of the problem.”
“Which is?”
“Pulling
one character off a string at a time, until the string becomes
empty.”
“Is that a
hard problem?”
“Not
really.” Peter said, “I mean, it's not that easy. I'm still
grasping the concept of string manipulation. But once I realize that
you took a detour in explaining string operation, I knew that the
knowledge is necessary to solve this problem, and I did some trial
and error programming to try to understand it.”
“Ah, that's
why it took you a long time. Had you done your homework properly and
did the trial and error at home, you would have made it.”
“It's
possible that it's true.” Peter acknowledged the possibility.
“You see,
when you are faced with insurmountable problem, the first thing you
did was to seek guidance. In this case, me, your teacher.”
“There's
nothing wrong with that. Isn't that what school is all about?”
asked Peter.
“Academia,
maybe, but remember, I'm a professional. What would a professional do
in such instances? Give up? Go back to school?”
“I guess
not.”
“Then what
would you do if you're a professional?”
Peter thought
about it for awhile. “I guess, I'll be doing what I just did
today.”
“Which
was?”
“Just do my
best in understanding the problem. Try as many solution as possible
and see if I can solve the problem.”
“In fact,
that is what professionals would do. And what everybody should do.
The thing is, this is a school. Therefore, you know that you CAN
solve the problem. The only question is how.
“Unfortunately,
in the real world, that's not necessarily true. There are many
problems in the real world that has no guarantee of having a solution
at all. It may be one of those impossible problem. Do you
understand?”
“I guess
so.” said Peter. “I guess in that instance, it's okay for you not
to solve the problem.”
“Well,
there is a standard that we all have to adhere to. It's not okay to
say that the problem is unsolvable. You have to provide PROOF that
the problem is unsolvable. Otherwise, everybody can say that they
worked on the problem. No standard.
“The most
important thing,” the teacher continued, “is not that you
actually solve the problem. But that you do enough work to see how
close you can get to solve the problem. In the end, either you prove
that the problem is an impossible problem, or you solve the problem.”
Peter thought
for a while. “I guess next time I ran into a impossible problem, I
have to show that it is impossible.”
“That's all
I ask.” said the teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment