16. The Princess is the Successor to the King
The nightly meeting was both a celebration and a mourning session. A celebration because the battle was won, and a mourning session to remember the fallen. The king of the Red Sands was jovial, knowing that the Queen's forces were decimated. There would be no more attack tomorrow.
Alas, it was not to be. Words arrived at the encampment that another 30,000 of the Queen's soldiers were arriving. Where as the combined number of their troops were merely thousands. All hope seemed lost. They passed the words to seek the council of the Great King, hoping that he can lead them to victory once more, but any hope of victory was dashed, knowing that the wounds were too many, and the Great King can no longer fight.
The Great King listened carefully to what the other kings have to say. Then he said, "I cannot help you tomorrow. The way I see it, the numbers of the soldiers are surely exagerrated. Furthermore, they are most likely raw recruits, without any benefit of training whatsoever. We have skilled warriors with us, and have experienced hard battle, too. There is no doubt in my mind that our soldiers will win the day!"
"But there are so many enemy soldiers!" they complained. "Certainly, we shall be overwhelmed simply due to numbers! We have to surrender!"
"There will be time to surrender, if that is the proper course of action."
"Do you think we can still win?"
"I don't know." the Great King said, "But I know who does."
"Who?"
"My daughter. She will lead you to victory."
Everybody went into uproar at once. "A woman!?" "Still too young!" "Not a soldier!" "She can't fight!"
The Great King held up his hand, silencing the critics. The Princess was confused. "Father! Certainly, you don't mean me?" asked the Princess.
The Great King closed his eyes, resting a bit. Everybody was waiting to hear what he has to say. Finally, he looked at the other kings. He said, "Many times I wished that she was a boy. It was not to be, but she took up battle lessons as well as, if not better than her brothers. She is perfectly capable in handling personal combat, as well as commanding an army. Listen to her, and you will win the battle."
"Can we really win the battle?" asked the king of Red Sands.
"I don't know." said the Princess.
"Then, why lead us?"
The Great King sighed. "She may have the talent, but she cannot make decision without information, _nor should she_. That is the difference between her and other people. She alone can set aside emotion and objectively judge the situation. Other people are swayed by their emotion and will make mistakes. She will not. Talk to her, and listen to her. That is all I ask."
"We will not listen to her and we will not submit to her rule." grumbled the prince of Tall Grooves. The king of Tall Groove said, "We will be happy to submit ourselves to you, oh Great King. But to submit to a woman? She has no experience in battle. No woman has. Please, oh Great King, reconsider your decision!"
"That is where you're wrong, my friend. She has proven herself in battle. She alone turned away 2000 troops, flanking our position from behind. She duelled the Queen and won. She can read the battle formation and deduce correctly what was happening."
"She fought the Queen! And won? Does that mean the Queen is dead?"
"The Queen is not dead, and I doubt she would be here had she killed the Queen. So, I'm thankful for that. There will be another chance tomorrow if that is the proper course of action."
"So, we should listen to her?" asked the king of the Tall Groove. "You are my dearest friend, but you are asking a lot. Is this a wise decision?"
"I alone faced 20 times my number and barely survived. She faced 2000, and not a scratch on her. If you wish to heed me, my friend, then heed her, for she is so many times better than her old man. That is my advice to you. I have no other."
All eyes were upon the king of Tall Groove. Any decision he makes will be binding to the group. Would he trust the Princess? He looked at her, examining her carefully. The Princess, perfectly aware of this, stood still, being very neutral, as to not give one indication or another. Finally the king of Tall Groove sighed. He said, "Well, at the very least, we should give her benefit of the doubt. Let's listen to what she has to say, and if the plan is good, we will follow her. But if the plan is bad, there is enough time to leave or even surrender, if that becomes necessary."
Heads were nodding, agreeing that it is a wise decision. The king of the Red Sand asked the Princess, "So, what do you want us to do?"
The Princess thought hard. There was not enough information to give specific order. She needed time to think, but what would be a good course of action available now?
"Let us celebrate our victory for today." the Princess said. "Also, to remember our fallen friends. Let us gather together tonight and dine in their memories. Say a few words for their bravery, so that their deeds would not be forgotten." Everybody was nodding their heads in agreement. "Then take an early rest. We need to wake up before dawn, and be able to fight at first light."
"At first light?" the King of Dry Marsh asked.
"The arriving troops are being force marched to arrive here by tonight. If we can attack them by dawn, they are surely won't be rested. And if we can deprive them of breakfast, then even better."
"Very clever! I like you already." said the King of Dry Marsh. "Oh Great King, I hope you don't find it offensive if I extend an invitation to the Princess to our land?"
The Great King laughed. "It's too early for that. Go have your celebration, and we'll talk about it tomorrow."
Everybody agreed to that and left the tent for the Great Hall where dinner awaited. The Princess looked at Opa. Opa's face expression was stern.
"Yes, Opa? Do you have something to say?" asked the Princess.
"Just remember, Princess, that you command the whole troops." said Opa. "That means you are not to ride into battle all by yourself as you are wont to do!" Opa understood the Princess perfectly. The Princess blushed.
"Alright, Opa. I will remember your advice." Opa relaxed a bit. The princess continued, "But Opa, I have in need of your service. May I have it?"
Opa was surprised. "Princess, I will serve you to the end of my days, but my sword carrying days are long past."
"I need you to go to the celebration tonight and listen to the stories. Who was brave? Who was strong? Who was cowardly? Who can be depended to fight well, and who is inexperienced in battle?" The princess said, "Opa, you have a lot of experience in combat that you are able to tell the kind of soldiers they have, just by listening to their stories!"
Opa nodded, "Aye, princess. That I can do." He left to do some fact-finding.
"And father, I need your help, too." The Princess said.
"Daughter, I will gladly give you my life. But it will be many days before I can ride again."
"Father, I need to know what were the enemy formations? What was the thinking behind each formation? And how is their command, communication, and control structure look like?"
The Great King smiled. "I see that I have chosen wisely." And he began tutoring his daughter in the art of battle.
No comments:
Post a Comment