Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Wishing Princess - Chapter 17


17. The Wishing Princess

It was still dark when the Captain made his rounds. He made sure that everybody had good breakfast, and ready for battle. After ensuring that everybody is ready, he entered the king's tent. There he found the kneeling Princess slept upon her father's lap, who looked at her fondly.

"We were up discussing battle plans until quite late last night. Please let her sleep a few more moments." said the King. The Captain saluted, and left the tent.

Outside, men were preparing for battle. As the sky began to lighten, all the kings gathered in the Great Hall, to discuss battle plans.

"Your father commanded us well yesterday," said the King of Dry Marsh to the Princess. "However, as you can see, not everybody escape unscathed. It will be hard to command them well, today."

The Princess nodded her understanding. "There is only one group of enemy that we have to worry today. We don't need to split the groups. In fact, it would be best if we all join together and fight as one group." said the Princess. "That way, there is no problem regarding command issues."

"And who would lead this group? You?" asked the Tall Prince.

"I will be leading our cavalry, our reserve unit. I will be better to view the battle and adjust accordingly on a horse." explained the Princess. "As for the the main battle force, there is only one order: Delay the enemy."

"You mean 'Destroy the enemy'."

"No." said the princess. "I mean delay the enemy. Remember that the prophesied child will be born today. Once the child is born, peace will come throughout the lands."

"That is unbelievable!"

The king of Three Mountains stepped forward. "It is true what she says. The child will be born today, and the battle will end."

"How?"

"The spirits did not say, but it is what they said."

"Then, all we have to do is delay them?"

The princess nodded. "I suggest a withdrawing technique: Strike one down, and one step back."

"And the formation?"

"We need to divide troops into 4 divisions. First are the best fighters in the land who knows how to survive a battle. Second are just like the first, except they have sustained trivial injuries in battle. Third are the average soldiers, or those who has sustained injuries that may affect them in battle. Fourth are the raw recruits who are otherwise have never cross swords with the enemy."

"So each kingdom will have 4 divisions?" That seem unwise considering that some kingdoms have too few survivors.

"No." the Princess said. "All the troops from all the kingdoms will fight as one."

"And who will command these troops?" asked the Tall Prince.

"I will." said the Princess firmly. "We agreed to it last night."

"Impossible. Delaying tactics is not enough against the Queen, and grouping everyone together is just one big gamble!"

"We have the prophesied child. That is enough. The shamans have said so." said the Princess.

"That is *not* enough!"

The princess stood firm. No one moved. Finally, she said, "Oma, please come here." Oma was surprised, but nonetheless, came to the Princess side. "Please bind my hair." Oma was really surprised, but said nothing.

To all the kings gathered, she solemnly said, "I am a Wishing Princess. My wishes will come true. And I wish, for peace throughout the land. Oma, please bind my hair."

Oma said, "It's too early for a wish, princess."

"I'm sorry, Oma. There's no more time. I cannot wait anymore." said the Princess, sadly.

"What if the wish does not come true?"

"Between my wish and the child, it will come true. I'm sure of it!"

So Oma bound the Princess's hair. And so the wish was made.

There are grumblings among the kings, but eventually, all agreed that they agreed to that.

"What is your battle order?"

"For now, prepare them and form them in a square. I will make the final decision later once I've seen the enemy formation."

The kings left to prepare the troops. The princess took and shoulder the pannier bag with her doll on it. Oma looks sad.

"Princess, surely you don't have to go." Oma said.

"I have to go, Oma, there is no one else left." replied the Princess. "Father cannot ride, and so I must."

"But you could get killed." Oma was really worried.

The Princess smiled. "Oh, Oma. Don't worry. I'll be careful." The princess hugged Oma. "I'll come back. I promise!"

With that, the Princess left for battle. Oma stood there, crying her eyes out. Opa came to her side and hugged her. Oma cried on Opa's shoulder. Both were looking sad, seeing the Princess left for battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment