Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Wishing Princess - Chapter 8


8. Women for Cattle, Princess for Kingdom

After the dinner was concluded, the Great King suggested that they should go to the field and meet with the soldiers, familiarizing themselves with the various soldiers on the kingdoms. This was met with agreement. And so the kings, princes and one princess walked about the field, meeting and chatting with various soldiers.

Having literally grew up among soldiers, the Princess was at ease. She propped her travelling cloak once more and walked like a young male soldier would. She disappeared into the group of men easily. Especially since it was customary for women to wear skirts and dresses, instead of riding pants and battle armor.

Opa went with them. His experience and understanding of warfare proved valuable as to provide them with excellent insights. After the touring is concluded, one by one the kings retires to their tent. The Great King, Opa, and the Princess were the last one to go.

As they were standing alone in the field, the King asked the Princess, "So, daughter, do you see anyone you like?" He was smiling mischiveously.

Opa countered, "It's too early to ask that question. They may not survive the battle."

The Princess had a sharp mind, and in a flash, she understood that her father will not force her into arranged marriage without her consent. In other words, although it was tradition for daughters to be traded away, he would rather do it with a person she loved. Her mind remembered the event when she was first exposed to it.

It was when she was nine years old. It was a day just like any other. She had spent the day with the soldiers, practicing her sword play, and had beaten everybody. She was sitting on her chair, with Oma combing her hair.

"So, then I was able to beat everyone, one after another, except for the captain." The princess was telling Oma how it went. Oma merely smiled.

"So, I suppose he's next. After that, I will beat father in a sword play!" The princess continued. "Wouldn't that be great?"

"No, princess, it wouldn't." said Oma. "I wish you would stop spending so much time with the soldiers, and more time with other girls."

"But Oma! One day I may inherit the kingdom from father. What kind of ruler will I be if I don't know how to engage in sword play?"

"No, princess, you will not inherit the kingdom from your father. In time, you will go to another kingdom and marry their prince. And you will live the rest of your life there."

"But Oma, I don't want to go to another kingdom! I want to live here, with all my friends." Oma sighed understandingly.

"It's tradition princess. It must be done."

"I don't see why it has to be done that way."

Oma kept combing the princess's hair gently. "There are poor families everywhere. They don't have enough to eat. A son is precious, but a daughter is a burden. So if they have a daughter, they'd trade her for cattle, so they can work the field better."

"So, I'm to be traded for a cow?" asked the princess in disbelief.

"No, princess. You will marry a prince." Oma said. The princess sat in silence. "This is a small kingdom. There are many other kingdoms in the land. There may be war, and we need allies. So, your father will pick a good ally and in order to strengthen the bond, you will marry their prince, so that the bond becomes a family bond, and thus very strong."

"Which kingdom do I have to go?" asked the princess.

"I don't know. It's up to your father."

"Will you come and visit?"

"It may be a faraway kingdom. It may even be a kingdom no one ever heard about. I really don't know."

"So, I am to marry a prince I've never met, go to a kingdom I've never gone, to live in a castle I've never been, with people I've never seen. Oh, Oma, how horrible! That is exactly what happens when we banish people from the kingdom!"

Oma merely patiently combing the princess's hair.

And back to this field, with the meeting of kings and their princess. Her father is asking her if there's a suitable suitor for her, and Opa pointed out that such choices at this time is folly as people fall in battle, and as there's a battle coming in two days, her choice may indeed meet untimely death in battle. As such, the choice should be made *after* the battle is concluded.

Understanding this, it was obvious that he loved her dearly, and the princess understood then the depth of a parent's love for his child. She knelt in front of her father, and kissed his hand in a gesture of respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment