Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Wishing Princess - Chapter 3


3. A Christmas Tree

"Must I wear this dress?" asked the Princess. She was comfortable wearing riding pants , looking like a tomboy, rather than wearing an elegant dinner dress. Many layers it has, and somewhat hard to move around in.

"Yes, Princess," Oma said. "Many kings willl attend the dinner tonight and you need to look your best." said Oma. Oma is a female servant who was married to Opa, the greatest warrior of the older generation. She came to the kingdom quite young, and has served since then. The Princess grew up under her care. She was a godmother to the Princess.

"I think that wearing my sword and swing it around will be more impressive. All the Princes can think about is how gallant they are, right? So they will be impressed when I defeat them in sword combat!" said the princess without boasting yet knew full well that her sword skill is near perfect.

"Hush, princess, that is something that you must not do!" chided Oma. "You musn't defeat them in sword combat. You must win their hearts with charm. Your father commands it, and so you must obey!" Oma was draping jewelries around the Princess. So much jewelries was on the Princess. Even Oma donated hers. The Princess was sparkling, just like a Christmans tree.

At last the preparation was complete. The King stopped by and nodded his assent. The Princess looked exactly like a Chritmas tree with her layered green dress and jewelries wrapped around her body.

"Have her serve the food for our guest tonight," said the King. "Oma, you will stay in the kitchen and cook. You make the best meal. My daughter will then serve the food to our guests."

"Yes, my liege," said Oma. Usually she would cook and serve the food, but as there are many guest for the banquet, it is natural for her to be so busy in the kitchen and need another person to serve the food.

"But father," complained the Princess, "I don't want to serve the food. I want to sit by your side and greet our guests!" The Princess looks so disappointed.

"You will not sit beside me," said the King. "Opa will. I need him tonight to deal with other kings from the other kingdom."

"I can handle them as well as anybody," said the Princess. "What would be better that to let me sit there?" asked the Princess. "Opa can sit there as well, if you need him, but I should be with you!"

"Not tonight dear daugher," said the King. "Tonight is not for celebration but for a matter of war. Opa knows war, you do not. So, it is Opa who must be there, and not you. It is not a woman's place to conduct war," the King chided the Princess gently, for he loved her so very much, and it was obvious that it pained him to have to tell her thus, but the King was wise and he knew what needs to be done.

The Princess, too, understand this. "Yes, father. I will do as you say." She curtsied as was common for her to greet her father in public thus.

No comments:

Post a Comment