Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Wishing Princess - Chapter 5


5. Is that your doll?

Oma was in the kitchen, stacking dishes from the previous dinner. Opa and the princess entered from outside. Outside, people were bustling about preparing for the long journey ahead. Weapons were sharpened, and bags were loaded. The relative quite of the kitchen felt like a welcome respite from the activity outside.

The princess set her bag down on a table. She then picked up a doll and tied it onto the bag. Oma was looking. "Princess," she asked, "Is that your doll?" The doll was a simple looking doll, made of cloth, resembling the princess when she was young. "You are a grown woman, now." said Oma. "Aren't you a bit too old for dolls? And why are you packing a bag?"

"It is the princess doll. Wherever I go, this doll will come along." replied the princess. She has been carrying that doll since she was nine years old. It's the doll that she selfishly wished for when she was at that age.

The princess was packing her bags, really panniers for travelling long distance on the horse. "I'm going with father." said the princess.

Oma was concerned. "But princess! It's a long and dangerous journey! There will be battle at the end. You could die." Oma added that last bit with worry. Oma stole a glance at Opa, silently pleading. Opa merely look at her. He didn't say anything.

"Oh, Oma. Don't worry. I'll be fine! Father will be with me." said the princess.

"But you don't have to go." said Oma.

"I have to go." said the princess. "There is no one else. All my brothers have passed away. I'm the only one left." All her brothers have fallen in battle.

Oma merely squeezed her hands with worry. She looked at the princess with pleading eyes. The princess looked at her. Then she said, "Oma, you come, too. Come with us!"

"But princess! I'm too old! I can't make the journey that far!" said Oma.

The princess mulled a bit. "Oh! But take the Royal Carriage!" she suggested brightly.

"Princess! That carriage is for you and your father!" Oma dare not say that it is inappropriate for a mere servant to ride in the royal carriage, reserved for the royal family.

"Father will ride outside, and so will I." said the princess. "But what will I do without you? Who will comb my hair? Who will cook my food? Who will tell me how to behave like a princess that I am? I'll be helpless without your help and guidance!" Oma said nothing. She looked at Opa. The princess, too, looked at Opa. "Opa, you come too! Come with us!"

Opa grunted his dissent. "Princess, I will serve you to the end of my life, but my sword carrying days has been long past." Opa was once the greatest warrior. However, no warrior can escape old age. He's now too old for battle.

"Opa, you are the greatest warrior that ever lived!" said the princess. "Father can use your advice, still. Just because you don't fight, does not mean you can't give advice. Think of all the experience you have that you can share with father! It will help him a lot to have you beside him."

Opa was not convinced. "Your father is a magnificent warrior, easily equal to me when I was his age. I'm sure he'll be fine without me. I'm just too old to travel. Oma, too. Even if we ride the carriage, it will be a hard journey for us. This isn't a journey of pleasant travel, after all. We will have to make haste in order to reach the encampment in time."

"I'm sure father won't mind." said the princess. Opa merely snorted. The King spoiled his daughter too much. Of course the king will grant whatever his daughter wished. "You don't have to arrive at the same time we do. Besides, you can change horses and travel longer. You can even sleep in the carriage. You just may arrive at the camp earlier than us." The princess tried her best to dissuade Opa and Oma from staying. Though technically she can order them, in truth, she loved them as much as they loved her.

"I just don't see how I can be of much help." said Opa.

"Oh, but you are!" said the princess. "Who was it last night who noticed that I was invisible and did something about it?" The princess was still uncomfortable being spanked in front of everybody, but admitted that it was a shrewd move. "Not father, but you! You helped father then, and I'm sure there'll be times where you'll help father in battle, if it ever comes to that."

Opa was non-committal. It's clear that Oma will do whatever Opa said. All the decision rested on Opa. The princess tried one more time. "How about this? We make you as comfortable as you wish. If for some reason that is not enough, and that you feel you cannot make the journey. You may stop, and even turn back." Opa looked at the princess, waiting for her next sentence that he knew will be coming. "But the very least you can do is try! There's no shame in trying and failing, but if you don't even try..."

"Then there will be no success for you." finished Opa. "How many times have I told you that?" asked Opa.

The princess smiled. "Enough that I never back away from a good challenge. So, how about it?" asked the princess. "Ask for anything you want for the journey, and we'll give it to you." The princess put emphasis this time. "Anything."

Opa looked at the princess. The princess looked at Opa. Opa looked at Oma. Oma looked at Opa. Finally Opa sighed. "Well," Opa was hesitant. "The very least we can do is try." The princess was so happy. She hugged Opa, then realized the she was being impetuous. She worriedly looked at Oma. What if Oma did not agree?

Oma was really torn between wanting to stay and wanting to serve the princess. After a long time, she finally said, "Well, if Opa will give permission, then I will go, too." Quick as lighting, the princess looked at Opa. Opa said firmly. "You will go with us, until you can't anymore. Then I will give the order to stop." Opa looked at Oma gently, "But I think you'll manage. I'll make sure of it."

The princess was so happy. "Oma, I'm sure you'll be fine." she hugged Oma. "Anything you want, just tell me. I'll make sure that you'll have it!" Oma was definitely not happy. All she can think about is the long journey ahead.

Opa said, "Princess, there is one thing that you must do, right now."

"Anything!" said the princess.

"Ask permission from your father."

The princess smiled a little less, but she was still smiling when she left Opa and Oma, seeking her father. Oma went to Opa. Opa embraced and hugged her, and kissed her on the forehead. Just like old times. Together forever. "Will it be alright?" asked Oma.

"Who knows? But things will be done according to her will." said Opa. Opa may be old, but he was very wise.

The King was certainly not happy. Not because he had to give up the royal carriage. That was never his concern. His concern was the welfare of Opa and Oma. "Who will take care of the castle while we're gone? It's bad enough that you come with us, now Oma and Opa, too?" The king was certainly not happy.

"But father, we agreed that it's best if I come, too. The experience will be worth it. After all, if things get too dangerous, I can always leave." pleaded the princess.

"And Opa is to come with us? He's rather old, in case you haven't noticed!" The King tried his best to scold his daughter. He failed rather miserably.

"Opa will be fine. He may not be fit for battle, but he's not yet a weakling. His experience will help you. Just because you can do everything, does not mean you can do it all at the same time. A capable helper will help a lot in war preparation." This, the King admitted, was true.

"And Oma? I don't think she's fit to travel." the King said. It's a hard journey even with experienced travelers. Oma has always stayed at the castle.

"Opa promised to take care of her. If Opa deemed her unfit to travel, he has my permission to return to the castle with Oma." The princess was firm.

The King saw that the princess has anticipated all the arguments. She was always the sharp witted one. She can be counted on to prepare for all eventualities. The King knew that he's incapable of outwitting his daughter. "I'll talk to Opa about this. But remember, if Opa said no, then they'll stay."

"Yes, father." The princess was happy. Opa and Oma will come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment