Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Blog2
Update so far
It is now the 4th week of November. My planned 50K completion didn't happen. I had actually planned to get at least 10K in the last 3 days. There have been some delays. For one thing, I didn't get home past midnight Thanksgiving Day. I had to spend the whole day recuperating. The next day, Black Friday, was spent shopping a little bit. I had made the mistake of reading 4 Hour Chef by Tim Ferriss. I couldn't stop reading. So, in the end, I didn't sleep at all. For some reason, I was also dehydrated. The end result was that Saturday was a total loss. I was bedridden all day long. And now it is Sunday night at 10 pm. I figure I have to make it up for at least 2000 words. Tough luck.
It has been an incredible journey. I can't believe how productive I was. I mean, in the beginning, I was very productive, but there's nothing like incredible pressure to succeed. The act of participating in the Nanowrimo itself was an impetus to get better. The fact is, my brain now works faster. There has been time where I spend a lot of time thinking a lot of things, and I figured that an hour has passed. Nope. Time spend was 15 minutes! That's incredible. It reminds me when I was breaking 2000g in Big Brain Academy for Nintendo DS. I chose Big Brain Academy over the more popular Brain Age because Big Brain Academy exercises are more generic. That is, the exercises were designed to improve all aspects of the brain, instead of domain specific ones like Brain Age. Too bad it didn't sell as well as Brain Age. I really missed it.
The point is, my brain is now working at hyperspeed factor. If you consider that driving a truck is a long and boring job, can you imagine the incredible productivity gained by being able to think rapidly, all day long? I became a percolator by default. Instead of pantser and planner, a percolator would just run through the story over and over again. By the time night came, I'd be ready to write on the 8th draft or something. That's incredible!
For example, it is now about 10 minutes into the typing session. Do you know how many words I typed so far? 396 words. Or about 400 words if I round it up. That's equivalent to 4000 words per hour! Do you think I can write 3000 words per hour? Yep. No problem at all. That's basically the rate of speaking. Except, I'm not speaking. I'm speaking with my finger. Mind you. This is not the keyboard I want to use for speed typing. The keyboard I want to use for speed typing is the Apple Wireless keyboard. It has short throw, you see. I can type really fast with it. To about 80 wpm. That's fast! I really like the keyboard, except that the keyboard doesn't travel well. I usually leave it at home. This time, though, I'm rather desperate. I need to type 9000 words by November 30th, and well, I don't see how I can fit in the time so that I can do it.
The interesting thing is that I am using the old Logitech keyboard as usual, and I type a lot faster than usual. Interesting how a tension and pressure to improve can do to a person. You see, Nanowrimo is a social experience, and the ability to finish 50K words is something that is to be celebrated. That's why we have writing buddies. It doesn't really matter that you finish, actually, unless you're planning to buy some software at extended discount, and you can do that by typing nonsense on the page. Just by typing random words and let the spell checker fix your misspellings. Done!
Of course, the text is the prize. Maybe you can get a discount for some sponsored software. I think saving 50% off Dragon Naturally Speaking is worth it to type random text for a while. However, the text is the prize. The ability to type fast is not as important as having your story laid down on paper. That is the real prize. Saving a lot of money on software is nice, but do you have a story? No? Then why bother? Yes? Congratulations! You don't need any of the software, now, do you?
The thing to remember is that I actually do not use Dragon Naturally Speaking right now. I can't. The original Dragon did not recognize my accent. Now, with version 12, rumors have it that it may be able to recognize different accents. That's nice. Unfortunately, when I look at the minimum system requirements, it recommends 2 GHz machine. Well, I need to check the capability of my other machine, but I don't think I will have time to get it this year. If I am to get it, I will get it next year. Maybe by that time, I will have a newfangled computer instead of my old Windows XP machine.
20 minutes in. Words: 858.
Not quite 3000 words per minutes, eh? But as long as it is over 2000 words per hour, I'm satisfied. The thing is, 2000 words per hour is what my normal rate when typing new text. So, I'm satisfied with it. Of course, 10000 words means 5 hours of typing, and I just don't know how I can fit that kind of time into the schedule. Mind you, I still have to sleep. It's too bad that Saturday was a total loss. I'd have been able to make it up no problem.
Anyway, the old computer Windows XP is so slow, it takes 20 minutes just to boot up.
Definitely not acceptable for Dragon Naturally Speaking. In fact, from time to time, Windows Update would tie up the computer. It really is annoying to see that the CPU is at 100% and yet, System Idle is as 80%. What can possibly going on? There's something fishy in there! It's the problem with Windows. System Update is full automatic. Program install is full automatic. There's just no stopping it, and so, any real time process, such as typing quickly is pretty much a goner. There's no way to schedule the process so it happened when the demand for the system is low.
I really wish I can type with Apple Wireless keyboard, though. For some reason, this Logitech keyboard is rather difficult to type. Oh, it types well enough, I suppose, but the keyboard keeps slipping. I probably need one of those lap desks, or maybe lap tray, the kind that lets you eat in bed. Yeah, that would be nice. Or perhaps, they have one of those lazy chairs with desk attachment. You know, I used to do it using a rocking chair. It was nice. I don't know if I still have a rocking chair somewhere. Probably not. I will need to get another one. Oh, well. I still need to get a computer desk for the home. I will need to get a nice one, where I can put in a rocking chair in there. Then I will be happy. My current set up is less than ideal.
Basically, I'm a horizontal typist. I like leaning back, semi inclined while typing. Full back support that way. The usual posture for office chair is too straight. The weight goes directly to the bottom, where as the lean back posture, the weight is distributed along the whole back. That's nice. I can relax and enjoy the typing session that way. Pretty fun, eh?
The time is 30 minutes. Total words so far: 1291.
In the beginning, typing was a hassle. Now, it's still is, I suppose. I purposely brought the Apple Wireless Keyboard for some heavy duty typing, and it didn't work. It worked before. I wonder if I have to change the battery. Apparently, the battery for the wireless keyboard dies quickly. I think I will need to learn to turn it off after using, otherwise, the keyboard will go to sleep mode and will be turned on with any key press, and then the battery will run down quick. I think that maybe getting a special case for it will help, but certainly not a soft padded case. I actually went into the Apple store and MicroCenter store, looking for the case for the Apple Wireless Keyboard, and they don't have it! I mean, why bother getting a portable wireless keyboard and not provide a case for it? Do they think that I will only use it on a desk? Well, without the proper travel case, yes, I will use it only when there's a desk available.
I still think that my typing rate improved. Not by a whole lot, mind you. But enough to be noticeable. Do you see that the typing rate is over 1200 words in 30 minutes? That's an improvement. It used to be around 1000 words in 30 minutes. So, yes, there is an improvement. Practice makes perfect. If I practice on typing quickly, then I will get the skill of typing quickly. Now, I'm practicing on typing the words as I say it, trying very hard to keep up with the rate of speaking. I think I'm rather successful at it, even if I have to slow down my rate of speech. The point is, if you practice perfect text and spelling, then you will get perfect text and spelling. But if you practice typing quickly, then you will get the skills of typing quickly. Now that's what I call perfect practice.
There is absolutely no reason not to do the Nanowrimo just because you know you can't finish it on time. The most important thing is to try. Even if you cannot type all that fast, you will still improve, and that's something. Moreover, if you practice every day, then your typing skill will improve. Just like playing a video game. If you play the game every day, there is no way you cannot get better. So is writing. Practice makes perfect. So what if you didn't win it this year? There's always next year, and the year after that.
One of the great Nanowrimo motivator is the local Write-in Sessions. Your Municipal Liaison will have all the details, and it behooves you to attend at least one of these sessions. I was planning to do it on Saturday, but alas, I didn't make it. Too big of a headache, you see. I was bedridden ALL DAY! So, I missed it. That's too bad. I really want to attend the meeting.
Time is now 40 minutes: Total words so far: 1798
Okay, I know I won't make 3000 words per hour, but I know I can make at least 2000 words per hour, and that's okay. The most important thing is to keep trying and constantly improving. There's a trick that I've learned in order to maximize productivity.
You see, most people, when they're facing trouble, would just work through the obstacle. They call it working 110% and I suppose that works. For them. But it doesn't work for me. I'm not the kind of guy who would just power through problems. I'm more of a go with the flow kind of guy. I think there are 2 different kinds of people. One that is too active (liver problem) and they are constantly on move. And people like me who is laid-back (lung problem) and do the minimal necessary.
If you remember the story of Anakin Skywalker (Darth Vader) and Obiwan "Ben" Kenobi. Anakin was portrayed as somebody with excess power and energy, where as Obiwan Kenobi was portrayed as someone who does things minimally. Minimum effort, Maximum result, so to speak. I'm more of Obiwan Kenobi. I really like efficiency.
So, how does this relates to Nanowrimo? Well, I'm a percolator, you see. So, I'm working on the story in my head, and while I'm doing that, I'm also doing other things. I can now drive the truck while sleeping. Not that I do that, but I can do it if I choose to. I can also do it while thinking about other things. Multi-tasking, so to speak. And the thing is, I do. I do that a lot. Of course, I need to be safety minded, and I don't do it when there are cars around. Today, for example, has a lot of Thanksgiving traffic. People are driving crazy bumper to bumper at 65 mph. Needless to say, I wasn't sleeping much. Still, I did manage to plan the writing session so that I can become productive.
Time 50 minutes. Total words so far: 2132
And now the hour is near. I think that the word count will reach 2400 words, and I'm happy. It means that I can do the whole 10000 words deal in about 4 hours. That's just one hour per day, and I will be successful. Of course, it would be nice if the whole thing is done even faster. 3 hours? Yes, that would be nice. OF course, that's impossible. I guess I just don't type that fast. However, I'm satisfied with the current progress.
You see, speed improvement doesn't happen just at the typing session. There are other things as well. Here's a trick: I layer actions. I multi-task. For example: I now develop the habit of reading while eating. I can do that easily since it only takes one finger to turn the page. This is where the old Kindle with physical button has an advantage. I can turn the page easily with the physical button, no matter how I hold the device. With the new Kindle Fire HD, I have to hold it a certain way. I need to prop the device well, or I will have difficulty in turning the pages. Therefore, I'm not throwing the old Kindle just yet.
That covers eating. How about cooking? I learn how to cook the meal using rice cooker. And it is simplicity itself. I put rice into the pan. Add water. Put in steamer basked. Add hotdogs, and I'm done! Push the cook button and 30 minutes later, steaming rice and meat, ready to eat. It really is very convenient. Just set it and forget it. I can do about 1000 words per 30 minutes, and so, doing it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner will net me 3000 words per day, just like that. Of course, that's assuming that I'm home everyday and I eat 3 times a day, which isn't true.
I'm on the road so much, that I really don't cook all that often. I did cook, though, and so I managed to type in some stories into the pot. At least figuratively. With my current set up, which is Kindle Fire HD and Logitech wireless bluetooth keyboard, I can quickly type in some text without having to wait 20 minutes for the computer to boot. Imagine that. 20 minutes just to boot the computer. There's no booting procedure with Kindle Fire HD. Just plug in and go.
It is now one hour. Total words so far: 2546.
Oh, I am so happy. That's a respectable rate there. Maybe it's not 3000 per hour, but hey, I'm still typing, and so it goes well enough. I'm starting to run out of materials so I will wrap this up. I was talking about being efficient, and laid back session. It's true. I don't really force through the hump or obstacles waiting in the way. I avoid them. How?
I am a person who likes to go with the flow. What if there's some trouble up ahead? Well, some people break or force through the obstacle. Giving 110% so to speak. I don't like to do that. It leads to early burn out. What I like to do, thought, is to set it up so that the flow doesn't go to the place where the obstacle lies.
Let me give you an example: I'm typing on Kindle Fire HD, using Logitech wireless keyboard. Why is that? It's because Kindle Fire HD does not require booting time. It's instant on! Since I never like waiting for the computer to boot, it's perfect! Actually, and Ipad will work just as well. I didn't have an Ipad. I have an Ipod Touch. It works well enough, I suppose, but I find that I like the big screen better. Since I'm too cheap to get an iPad, I decided to use Kindle instead. Unfortunately, the original Kindle Fire doesn't have bluetooth interface So, I have to go to the new Kindle Fire HD which does have bluetooth interface.
The wireless keyboard works just fine. Why wireless? Because I like to type in bed at the end of the day, and if it's not wireless, then it becomes clumsy. I don't even care where the wireless goes. I mean, I can touch type and I don't have to look at the screen. So, that's fast. Using Kindle Fire HD and bluetooth keyboard now means that I can type anywhere I want, even in bed. Not that I sleep in bed, mind you, since the bed is too comfortable that I'd fall asleep immediately. I sleep on futon, with some strategically placed comforter, simulating the shape of a lazy boy reclining sofa.
Come to think of it, maybe I should get that reclining sofa. One that comes with desk. That would be nice.
Time is now 70 minutes, Total words so far: 2943.
Like I said, it would be nice if I can do 3000 per hour. That didn't work out too well, but 3000 words per session is good enough for me. I am now feeling rather sleepy and so I will stop typing here. Remember that I'm typing in bed. Most of the time, I don't even look at what I'm typing. That and the fact that I'm doing this at the end of the day, means that sleep will soon overtake me. I don't mind that at all. In fact, I don't see why that is a problem. I can type really, really fast and I'm very happy with the current session. After all, I'm improving in all sorts of ways, not just at the typing, but life in general.
I'm layering my activities. Washing dishes, for example, used to take about 15 minutes. Now? It only takes 5 minutes. What's the difference? I used to do it by hand and just use bounty paper towel to dry the plates. Not anymore! I'm not using a custom made cloth that works really well. It cuts down the cleaning process by half. Not only that, I'm also using a special drying mat for plates. The end result is that the plates dry quicker, without much intervention from me. Ditto for cleaning other things. I just use the most convenient way to do things. Life is better in general. Even if I don't win Nanowrimo, which I can foresee right now, I'd still be better off in real life.
And isn't that the ultimate goal? To be a better person today compared to what was yesterday? The only easy day is yesterday. Constant improvement. And that's the way to do it.
I am going to finish this session. Typical of me, I like to take a lot of breaks. So, I guess you can say that my stamina isn't too good. But that's me. Yes, I like to take a lot of breaks. That's fine. Little by little, not even a big mountain can withstand of being dug. Keep moving. Keep improving. Keep pushing. All the way to 50000 words. Be a Nanowrimo winner!
Yeah, that will be nice.
The time is now 80 minutes. Total words: 3319.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment