Sunday, November 4, 2012

Drew of the Stars


Chapter 13 and 14

CHAPTER 13: REVERSING THE TIDE

Now that everybody was fully geared up, their morale is at an all-time high. They have flame thrower, grenades, rocket pack, and yes, a mini Gatling gun. Drew wanted to go back and retrieve the captain's body. Adam persuaded Drew that accomplishing the mission by fully scouting the place is a better idea. Clearing out the place of monsters and retrieving the bodies can be done later. Rescuing civilians comes first.

"The way I see it, we should be kicking alien butts." said Kevin.

"I disagree," said Drew. "We're down to half the original number. Further attacks will only deplete the number further."

"You're just a coward!" said Danny. "The captain would have charged forward and kick alien butt!"

"Remember what happened when you did that?" asked Drew. Everybody laughed. Danny sulked.

"We have all kinds of heavy weaponry, now." said Adam. "I'm sure we can kill off those monsters without any problem whatsoever." Everybody was nodding their heads.

"We still need to be prudent." said Drew. "We need to figure out the best way to kill off the monsters, instead of just charging in recklessly."

"Makes sense," said Bob.

"So, how do you want to do this?" asked Kevin.

"I don't know." admitted Drew. "Which one is better? Catch them in the open or in a narrow hallway?"

"Depends on the monster." said Adam. "If it's a big one, an open space will allow us to concentrate fire power to it. If it's a lot of monsters, then a narrow hallway will prevent them to flank us."

"Good point." said Drew. "So how do we know which is which?"

"That's easy." said Kevin. "We have this, remember? I can see everything from here." Kevin was referring to his enhanced and upgraded sensor, linked to all the security cameras.

"Yeah! We can catch them no problem." said Adam.

"I don't know." Drew was hesitant. "I feel like we're missing something."

"Yeah," said Danny. "Like, maybe, bravery? The willingness to bring the fight to the monsters once you get your hands on weapons?"

"Shut up, Danny." Drew was upset. "I'm trying to think here! There's something I'm missing, and I'm trying to figure out what it is!"

"You're just a coward!" said Danny.

"No, I'm not." said Drew.

"Yes, you are." said Danny.

"No, I'm not." said Drew.

"Yes, you are."

"Danny, I will appreciate it if you let me think for a while."

"You're just a big coward. Admit it!" said Danny.

Drew ignored him, and concentrated on the compound's map.

"I said, 'You're just a big coward!'," said Danny.

Drew did not respond.

"Aha, see? I knew it all along. You're just a big coward!" said Danny.

Drew burrowed her eyebrows.

"So, what do you say, you big coward? Do you run home to mommy?" asked Danny.

In response, Drew merely gestured to Adam, pointed at Danny, and pointed to the door. Adam yanked Danny's collar, and took him out of the room, handling him easily despite Danny's rather loud protestations.

"So, what do you think you're missing?" asked Kevin.

"I don't know yet." said Drew. "I hate for it to be something obvious. We'll just be looking stupid that way."

"If it's something obvious, shouldn't we know it already?"

"Yes, we should."

"So, what do you want to do? For us to wait here until you figure out what it is we're missing?"

"What do you suggest?"

"We do a recon. We bait them, and then note their reaction. Then, if it's something obvious, we'll see it no problem."

"Good point. But it needs to e safe, just in case we're wrong."

"We'll find some monsters out there to test our theory." Kevin patted his sensor. "We'll be fine."

"Alright. Let's do it that way, then." said Drew. "I guess a little experimentation doesn't hurt."

"Unless it's Danny." said Kevin.

"Unless it's Danny," agreed Drew, sighing heavily.

CHAPTER 14: SETTING A TRAP FOR MONSTERS

Drew selected a lone Chihuahua type monster for the first experiment. All went well. Then they found another lone monster. They took care of that no problem as well. Then they found a bigger one yet. Still no problem. Everybody was laughing and enjoying themselves. Drew still hesitant.

"Well?" asked Kevin. "Do you know what's bothering you?"

"No. Everything went well so far," said Drew.

"I think we can say that the firepower helped"

"Yes, there's no problem in that area."

"So, do you want to hunt down some more? Or maybe go for an attack?"

"Let's attack." said Drew. "I really don't see how we're missing anything. Do you have any problem or concern? "Kevin shook his head. “Does anybody else?"

"Nope." said Adam, speaking for everybody. "Let's go hammer them all."

"Alright." said Drew. "Kevin, find a place in that building that we can hole up and attack the monsters while they can't attack us. Asymmetric fighting, so to speak."

"Asymmetric?" asked Adam.

"It means fighting with advantage, instead of fighting fair." said Kevin.

"Of, I get it. Fight dirty." said Adam.

"All's fair in love or war." said Drew. "We're not here for sport. We're here for extermination."

"It's possible that the monster won't attack our position." said Kevin.

"We'll use bait," said Drew. "Danny just volunteered."

"What?!" said Danny.

"You're brave, aren't you?" said Drew. "Bring the monsters to us, and we'll kill a lot of them."

"Why me? Why not him? Or him? There's absolutely no reason why it should be me!" said Danny.

"I think you're just the person for the job." Drew was smiling.

"The captain wouldn't do that." said Danny.

"You're right. The captain would have done great." said Drew. "But I'm not the captain. Too bad."

"I still think that somebody else would be better," insisted Danny. “You’re just picking on me."

"Danny, everybody else is weighted down with weapons and ammo," said Drew. "You're the only one without any burden whatsoever. You're not carrying anything."

"You could give me some weapons." said Danny.

“Does anybody agree to give Danny a weapon?” asked Drew to the guys.

"No!!!" said everybody at once.

"See?" said Drew. Danny said nothing, but his expression is that of anger. Bugged out eyes, flaring nostrils, and general redness on the neck area. "Relax, Danny," said Drew. "We'll save you from the chasing monsters. It's no good for us for the monster to get you without us being able to kill them, after all."

<hr>

Kevin chose well. The place was in the middle of a hallway. They fortified one end of it, leaving the other end relatively open. Drew positioned people for staggered fire. Everything was set up right. They even have some claymores set up, just in case.

"Alright, Danny," said Drew. "Try to get this group of monsters to come to use," Drew pointed to the monitor on Kevin's sensor.

"Why that one? They look plenty nasty."

"Because I think you can outrun them." said Drew. "Here, have a grenade. Draw them here, and we'll take care of the rest."

Danny took the offered grenade and sulkily walked away. A little while later, they heard an exploding grenade. "He's done it!" said Kevin. "He's running back here, with a big group of angry monsters behind him."

"Everybody get ready!" Drew felt tension rose around her. "They're coming!"

Footsteps can be heard as Danny rounded the corner. Faster and faster he ran, with monsters nipping at his heels. He dove past the claymores. Drew triggered the claymores, and everybody opened fire up all at once.

"Alternating fire!" said Drew. "Shoot when the other guy reloads!"

The group poured such a heavy and constant fire that the monsters never had a chance. Casualties among the monsters rapidly climbed. Suddenly, a loud breaking noise came from behind them. Drew turned around to see that another big and scary monster just took down the barricade behind them.

"Uh, oh," said Drew. "THAT is what we've been missing!"

Time 42 minutes
Word: 1333




















































































No comments:

Post a Comment